Thursday, October 23, 2014

Ms. VanTiem’s Classroom Investigation
Through my observations so far this school year, I have noticed the children are developing an interest in balance. The last two weeks, I have implemented two different experiences that incorporated this idea. In the first exploration, the children had the opportunity to test their balance by walking across the balance beam. I noticed when they were walking across the balance beam they had their arms spread out to their sides. When I shared my observation with the children, Lilly recognized “It helps you keep your balance!”





After several attempts at walking across the beam, the children experimented different ways they could walk across the beam and tried to walk across it like their peers. The children worked together to help each other successfully walk across the beam. While Lilly was on the balance beam, Ibrahim said, “Walk like me!” As he demonstrated how he successfully made it across the beam earlier. Throughout this activity the children developed problem solving skills and cooperation.

The second exploration I implemented involved the balance beam as well.  I wanted to challenge the children with weighted buckets. The intention of this lesson was for the children to adjust their bodies with the additional weight, so they could remain balanced on the beam. Children were able to successfully walk across the beam when the buckets had the same amount of blocks inside. Then, I change the amount of blocks in each bucket; one had 30 blocks, the other had two. I noticed the children had to lift and tilt their bodies toward the lighter bucket to remain balanced on the beam. While he was trying to remain balanced on the beam, I asked Victor what the buckets were doing to his balance. He replied, “They’re taking it away.”



We will be continuing our investigation of balance. Next, we will be working on reflecting on our experiences so far, by drawing our ideas.  We will move into thinking about what helps us balance on the beam and what strategies help the children successfully walk across the beam.

When you are at home with your children encourage them to share their experiences on the balance beam with you.